Saturday, February 06, 2010

Saison, Kentucky Common, Dusseldorf Alt..Oh My!

Hey there!

I'm back again and trying to catch up with my brewing adventures!

The Saison came out real nice and continues to improve. No bad reports from anyone yet!

Also the Kentucky Common is bottled and I tried one out today and I thought it came out nice.

Not over the top on the sourness but it's there blended in nicely...a nice semi sweet malty taste up front with a light touch of acid (sourness) in the middle giving way to a  hint of roast and caramel in the background. It is still young as I bottled it almost 7 days ago. It should improve and be carbonated to where it should be in another week or 2. I'm shooting for a carbonation level of 2.6 - 2.8 vol co2.

I rather enjoyed the young beer as it was very flavorful, and easy drinking.

That's why I used the German Acid malt instead of performing a real sour mash. It's hard to get it right. My friend had the same problem with his....it was drinkable...but could only have 1 at any sitting as the acidity and sourness was a bit over the top for me.

I believe that the beer should be an easy drinking beer with a slightly sour taste..you know...the level that keeps you coming back for more...coupled with the above mentioned traits.

I did ferment mine with Wyeast California Lager Yeast @ 59 degF, and it was in the fermenter for 2 weeks. I brewed it on Jan 17th...and bottled it on Feb 2nd....today was the first one I tried....I ended up having 2..LOL! 

I used 3/4 lb of German Acid malt...but next time I'm thinking of using at least a pound or 1.25 lbs. Time will tell tho....not sure yet.

The Strawberry Wedding Sparkling Ale will be bottled this coming week and it is tasting pretty good. I was very surprised how it came out.

I brewed a Dusseldorf Alt today and the session was a pleasant one. After I finished some neighbors stopped by and I gave them the "brewery tour" and we sampled some of my newest Pale Ale, and the Light Lager.

I didn't tell them what style is was and asked them if they had had some before.

They said that it tasted a lot like bud light!  Perfect for the wedding crowd! Just what I was shooting for too!

Earlier in the week I helped out a friend of mine that is opening up a brew store, so we had to uncrate pallets of supply's and get them on the shelf's! He is planning on opening in a couple of weeks. I just might get a job out of this!  LOL!!

Anyways....I have 2 more brews to do for the wedding...an Apricot Wit and a Raspberry Wit, and then brew some more Pale Ale and a Bohemian Plisner I've been planning for about 6 months. Gotta brew it while it's still cool out.

And in between, I'll be brewing my Grapefruit Wine (white) and maybe a Merlot to go with it. I love Merlot's!

I also have a couple of reviews to write about and some nice pics to post too!

Well....i'm pretty tired out at this point....so have a good one....and remember....

Keep Brewing!

(_)3   :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home